With the help of Linkedin you can
1. Look for Jobs
2. Get Found By Recruiters and Employers
3. Use It As a Research Tool
4. Expand Your Network and Connections
5. Build Your Credibility and Personal Brand
Important Things to Know about Linkedin
1. A connection is a person connected to you at a 1st-degree level, whom you can direct message (DM) for free.
2. LinkedIn only allows 30,000 1st connections, at which point a person can only be followed. Eg. I have over 470,000 followers so I cannot accept connect invites.
3. LinkedIn allows you to block a maximum of 1,000 people.
4. LinkedIn Premium is a paid subscription that allows you to DM anyone at all using InMail credits. It gives you access to LinkedIn Learning and other features. Premium is beneficial for job seekers, and LinkedIn provides one year of free subscription to USA transitioning military.
5. The LinkedIn algorithm “rewards” engagement with profile visibility. Like, comment insightfully, reply to comments on posts.
6. The algorithm will most likely suppress you in recruiter searches if you don’t occasionally apply for roles via LinkedIn jobs. LinkedIn is the most under-utilized social media platform on the planet. Why? Because people don’t understand it or know how to use it. Now YOU do!
7. LinkedIn Status Update Character Count Limit
- Status Update: 1,300 characters maximum
- LinkedIn Publisher Headline: 100 characters maximum
- LinkedIn Publisher Article: 40,000 characters maximum
Want to make LinkedIn WORK for you? Do this……
1. Optimise your LinkedIn Profile to appear high in searches by recruiters etc.
2. Engage to increase your visibility and grow your network.
3. Use LinkedIn Jobs to apply online and to post job openings.
4. Use LinkedIn Learning to upskill.
5. Use the search bar to find recruiters. Eg. Enter <IT Recruiter> to find IT recruiters at a given location.
6. Follow people who create valuable content and learn from it.
7. Use company pages to advertise your organisation for free. 8. Post to get your brand/message seen, heard and publicised.
9. Network for business and for fun.