Everyone has a morning routine whether you’re consciously aware of it or not. Whether it’s getting up to work for a creative project, going for a run, reading a few pages of your current book, or just preparing a healthy breakfast but what if you could make this routine more efficient and effective?
A good morning routine is key to a productive day. It sets the tone for the day and can have a lasting effect on your mood and productivity. By starting your day on the right foot, you can set yourself up for a fulfilling day.
The secret to a successful day is to get a good start. It’s important to remember that, there’s no single way to start a productive morning. “Routines are the ideal way to bookend your day. I think they are the building blocks of effectiveness, efficiency, and efficacy,” says Mike Vardy.
The key is consistency. Experiment and stick to routines and rituals that work better for you or bring out the best in your everyday morning. Aim to make your morning habits automatic, they won’t be automatic right away but you’ll get there in some time, be patient and you’ll be off a great start almost every day.
Here are some habits that I think you should definitely include in your own morning routine:
- Fill up your body with water — You are dehydrated for almost 7–8 hours straight so you should hydrate yourself first thing in the morning. Keep a glass of water or a water bottle beside your bed, handy so as to feel refreshed, energized, and ready for the day. This will help kickstart your metabolism and give you the energy to start the day.
- Stay away from your phone — Every time I have stayed in bed scrolling through social media in the morning, I have noticed that I feel unproductive throughout the day. It doesn’t get me started for the day. Try staying away from your phone for at least 1 hour after you wake up, if you can stay away for more, it’d be great! Try it out for yourself!
- Make breakfast a priority — Having a healthy breakfast sets you up with the energy needed to tackle whatever is on your agenda. Choose a healthy breakfast that keeps your blood sugar level steady. As for what to eat, feel free to experiment, there are endless options, from smoothies and oats to toast and coffee. The key here is balance: make sure your breakfast includes a good source of protein, healthy fats, and some whole grains.
- Read something, anything — Unlike scrolling through social media, reading something can help you motivate to get started. Either you can read your book or you can read your newspaper. I’d recommend reading something that might inspire you, and motivate you to work harder. You can read for just 10–15 minutes. It’s a calming way to start your day, build a consistent reading habit and improve yourself. Moreover, reading gives you an unhackneyed perspective on a lot many things, it becomes a catalyst for creativity and self-reflection, and needless to say, reading caters you with self-growth. You can read non-fiction in the evenings when you take a break from work.
- Get some fresh air — It can be anything, a slow walk at your nearest park, a run, a good sweat session, anything you want. The fresh air that hits you, especially at dawn, makes your day a whole lot better. Just 10 minutes is all you gotta do. Getting fresh air in the morning makes the most difference to your whole day.
- Start your day with your most minor high-value task — This will help you stay motivated and keep you going throughout the day. It may be tempting to dive right in and tackle the biggest task first, but that usually leads to stress quickly.
Apart from this, you can listen to the right music, music that helps you get ready for the day, your pump music. Then after, make your to-do list for the day and get started with it, rearrange your list as per needs. Declutter your desk and now you’re ready to start working. If you can, include meditating and filling out your gratitude journaling before starting your work day.
Follow your morning routine strictly, it can be monotonous in the beginning but once it becomes a habit, you’ll enjoy it as you start the day with freshness, you can focus on the rest of the day, prioritize your tasks, and have a productive day.